Main Nutritious Intent Website

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Graham Cracker Crust: Boosting Nutrition in Unlikely Places


I love to tinker with recipes.  It is rare that I end up making a recipe exactly as it is written (most of the time I fail to use a written recipe at all).  But more often than not, my recipe alterations stem from a desire to boost the nutritional value of foods.  So even though, a key lime pie may fall into the "fun food" category, there's no reason I can't give it a little boost.  This morning I was making no-bake key lime pie in 1/2 pint jars to take to a friend's house for lunch (for more recipe info, see http://teach12homeskills.blogspot.com/2013/05/cooking-no-bake-key-lime-pie.html).  I decided to up the fiber and healthy fat content of the graham cracker crust by swapping a couple crackers out and adding in some wheat bran and flax seed meal.  I like to keep those in my freezer so they stay fresh and I can toss them in all sorts of recipes.  I ended up using about 3 Tbsp. each of ground flax seed and wheat bran in my 1-pie crust recipe.
Does this magically make pie a health food?  Heavens no!  But no nutrition is ever wasted, so why not up it where you can?

1 comment: