- Spinach Artichoke Dip This recipe from Cooking Light is a real crowd pleaser. Instead of the reduced fat cream cheese - try Greek Cream Cheese (cream cheese made from greek yogurt). Serve with some whole grain pita chips or my favorite: Triscuits.
- Chocolate Cherry Chunk Meringues This isn't necessarily a makeover recipe, but I wanted to include it as a good substitute for Christmas cookies or calorie-laden desserts. Plus, I'm a sucker for chocolate, cherry and meringues!
- Mushroom Polenta Canapes I love, love, love this appetizer! It is fairly simple - but adds a lot of flavor and wow-factor to your party. Plus it's low fat, decent fiber content make it a great savory substitution for any fried, battered, pie-crust-filled appetizer you pick up at the store.
- Spring Rolls At 100 calories per serving - these beat the pants off of any fried egg roll. Consider letting your guests help with the assembly - as it makes it more fun and efficient.
- Hot Bean & Cheese Dip Instead of going with a nacho-cheese dip for your southwest flavor-fix, try this recipe. Loaded with fiber and lower in calories and sodium than store-bought ones. Serve with veggies or whole grain chips.
- Sweet Chipotle Snack Mix Instead of putting out the candy dish - set this mix out. Such as tasty flavor combination - enjoying healthy nuts and seeds never tasted so good.
- Water No this isn't a link . . . no recipe needed. The best makeover for cocktails or party beverages is to not drink your calories. You might want to provide some fun garnishes for the glasses: Freeze cranberries on a skewer to use as a substitute for ice. Lemon, lime and blood orange slices make a gorgeous garnish for the ultimate calorie free beverage.
Don't forget to set out plenty of fruit and veggie trays - and enjoy noshing on them the next day or two. Have a healthy, festive and merry Christmas!