Halloween is here again and that probably means your home has been inundated with miniature sized candy. Does this mean it has to be a day of painful deprivation? Of course not. Here are a few tricks to keep the treats in balance:
- Focus more on your good eating habits today - be sure to drink 8 glasses of water and try to get 9 servings of fruits and veggies in.
- Stick to a regular meal schedule today - don't skip a meal in anticipation of treats tonight. Halloween candy does not constitute a well-balanced meal.
- Plan out and enjoy the anticipation of your favorite treats. Mindfully eating a few pieces of your favorite candy is much preferred over mindlessly eating whatever is at hand.
- Prioritize your candy consumption. Have a piece or two of only your very favorites. It's not worth wasting calories on mediocre sweets.
- Have a plan in place for leftover candy. Whether you donate it to the food bank, toss it in the garbage or save a few favorites in the freezer for later enjoyment, make a plan and stick to it - don't leave it out on the counter to tempt you the next few days. (Notice I didn't say send the leftovers to work? Healthy eating at work is hard enough without a bowl of Halloween-dregs candy at every turn.