Main Nutritious Intent Website

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Taste of Summer

I love summer for a bunch of reasons: flexible schedule with my kids, living outside, longer days.  But most of all, I love the taste of summer.  I love eating tomatoes with flavor, being a watermelon and raspberry junkie and I love how fresh produce deliciously infiltrates every meal and occasion.  Not only do all these fresh fruits and vegetables please our bodies, but our palates as well.  So whether it means being creative with your neighbors bumper crop of zucchini, eating straight of your backyard garden or hitting the local farmer's market, be sure to taste summer.  Here are a few of the ways I love tasting summer: 

My 4th of July dinner plate: local corn on the cob, caprese salad, crusty baguette, zucchini chips with watermelon and blackberries for dessert.

One of my all-time favorite desserts - a bowl full of raspberries sprinkled with mini, dark, chocolate chips.  Double Yum!

On my sister's night to cook she made a family favorite - Cambodian tacos.

No better time than summer to teach kids how to cook - especially with fresh produce.  My son and nephew made a main-dish salad as part of their Iron Chef (cousin edition) competition.
The winners with their appetizer, entree and dessert.
My daughter and niece were very close runners-up.  Produce figured into each of their courses.


No comments:

Post a Comment